Monday, January 24, 2011

Breaking News: Ikea Designs Stores as Mazes to Keep Customers In

Daily Mail - If you've ever found yourself hopelessly lost in an Ikea store, you were probably not alone. The home furnishing chain’s mazy layouts are a psychological weapon to part shoppers from their cash, an expert in store design claims. The theory is that while following a zig-zag trail between displays of minimalist Swedish furniture, a disorientated Ikea customer feels ­compelled to pick up a few extra impulse purchases...'In Ikea's case, you have to follow a set path past what is effectively their catalogue in physical form, with furniture placed in different settings which is meant to show you how adaptable it is,' he said.  'By the time you get to the warehouse where you can actually buy the stool or whatever's caught your eye, you're so impressed by how cheap it is that you end up getting it.'

So? Has anyone ever complained about having to go to Ikea? The place is a blast, its like the Caesars Palace of home goods and furniture stores.  Just exciting awesomeness around every corner.  Who cares if it takes me 4 hours, a lunch, a snack, and two bathroom breaks to navigate the entire store? And so what if I went there looking for a wine rack and came home with a rug, more wine glasses for the wine rack I still don't have, a shelf, and an ergonomic chair?  Like the article said, the stuff was dirt cheap, I'd be dumb not to get anything.  

Zig-Zag me all you want.  I'd love to get lost overnight, hell overnight probably wouldn't be enough. I'd need to get locked in there for like a solid week before I could pin down which room plans I liked best.  Probably just make my way around for the first few nights desperately trying to decide between various color schemes and different stylings of modern decor, capping off each night by crushing some Swedish meatballs in the cafe and running through the cool shit in the kids section that I've always wanted to try out but didn't because society would look down on me.